BOLD Book Review: The Midnight Library

The Midnight Library: The Book I Hope Everyone Reads

Before we begin: The Midnight Library touches on suicide, depression, regret, and mental health struggles. If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of self-harm or suicide, please seek professional help immediately. There is support available, and reaching out is a sign of strength.


The Midnight Library Book Review: A Story About Building a Life You Actually Love

Until recently, almost everything I read was nonfiction.

I was constantly consuming books about habits, life structure, behavioral science, business, optimization, awareness, relationships, communication, minimalism, optimism, self-worth, self-care, self-discovery, discipline, empathy, spirituality, fitness, nutrition, real estate, money—you name it.

If it could help me learn something, improve something, or move me toward a goal, I was interested.

Productivity became my preferred genre.

Then my mother-in-law handed me a stack of books.

Without knowing what I typically read, she included The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks.

I picked it up one day because I had forgotten my usual book.

And then something unexpected happened.

I enjoyed it.

Not because I learned a new productivity framework or business strategy.

Not because I found a better way to organize my life.

I enjoyed it because it made me feel something more. I felt relaxed. Entertained. Content.

The story explored relationships, purpose, love, understanding, and empathy. It reminded me that not everything valuable needs to be educational in the traditional sense.

That book quietly opened a door.

It made me wonder what other stories I might be missing by only reading books that promised to make me more productive.

That curiosity eventually led me to The Midnight Library.

And I'm glad it did.

What Makes The Midnight Library So Powerful?

Matt Haig's The Midnight Library is thought-provoking, surreal, entertaining, and surprisingly wise.

The premise is simple but profound.

The main character, Nora Seed, finds herself in a library between life and death. Every book on the shelves contains a different version of her life—a life that would have existed if she had made different choices.

What if she had pursued a different career?

What if she had stayed in a relationship?

What if she had chased a dream?

What if she had made a different decision years ago?

The story explores questions most of us have asked ourselves at some point:

"What if?"

What I loved most is that the book doesn't just focus on life's major crossroads. It highlights how our lives are shaped by thousands of small decisions, repeated day after day.

The people we spend time with.

The risks we take.

The risks we avoid.

The conversations we have.

The opportunities we pursue.

The opportunities we let pass.

Life is rarely changed by one dramatic moment. More often, it's shaped by the accumulation of ordinary choices.

The Lie We Tell Ourselves About Happiness

One of the most important ideas in the book is this:

Getting what you want does not automatically make you happy.

Many of us spend years chasing goals.

The promotion.

The perfect body.

The relationship.

The house.

The business.

The recognition.

The achievement.

We convince ourselves that happiness lives on the other side of accomplishing the thing.

But what if it doesn't?

What if you achieve the goal and discover it wasn't what you actually wanted?

What if you win the race but realize you were running in the wrong direction?

The Midnight Library forces readers to confront that possibility.

It reminds us that success and fulfillment are not always the same thing.

And perhaps more importantly, it reminds us that a meaningful life isn't found by eliminating every regret. It's found by fully participating in the life we're already living.

My Favorite Lesson From The Book

The ending delivered the lesson that stayed with me the longest.

To live confidently, you must become comfortable with the unknown.

You cannot know how every decision will turn out.

You cannot predict every outcome.

You cannot optimize every variable.

At some point, living requires trust.

Trust that you'll figure it out.

Trust that you can adapt.

Trust that uncertainty isn't evidence that you're on the wrong path.

The book also reinforced something I believe deeply:

We should continuously review our lives.

Not because we're failing.

Because we're growing.

The things you wanted five years ago may not be the things you want today.

Your priorities change.

Your values evolve.

Your definition of success matures.

The life you loved at 25 may not be the life you'll love at 45.

The question isn't whether you've built the perfect life.

The question is whether you're intentionally building a life that aligns with who you are becoming.

Why This Book Matters

I don't think The Midnight Library is really about regret.

I think it's about awareness.

It's about recognizing that life is happening right now.

Not in the future.

Not in some alternate reality.

Not after you lose ten pounds.

Not after you make more money.

Not after the kids get older.

Not after you finally achieve the next thing on your list.

Now.

This life.

These choices.

This moment.

That's where fulfillment lives.

The Bigger Connection: Life by Design

Reading this book reminded me why I'm so passionate about the work I do.

People often ask what I am.

A coach?

A trainer?

A mentor?

A consultant?

A therapist?

The truth is, not exactly.

I think of myself as a designer.

When an interior designer begins a project, they don't start by buying random furniture.

They start by listening.

They learn your wants.

Your needs.

Your non-negotiables.

Your budget.

Your style.

Your colors.

Your vision.

They identify what works, what doesn't, and what belongs.

Then they carefully remove everything that clashes with the desired outcome and bring together the pieces that support it.

The result isn't accidental.

It's intentional.

I believe life works the same way.

Most people aren't lacking motivation.

They're lacking clarity.

They're carrying beliefs, commitments, habits, expectations, and goals that no longer fit the life they actually want.

Sometimes they need someone to help them sort through the noise.

Someone to ask better questions.

Someone to help identify what belongs and what doesn't.

Someone to continually point back to what matters most.

That's what The Midnight Library reminded me.

The goal isn't to create a perfect life.

The goal is to create your life.

A life built intentionally.

A life aligned with your values.

A life designed around what truly matters to you.

Not by mistake.

Not by happenstance.

Not by default.

But by design.

And that's why this is the book I hope everyone reads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Permission To Be Clean & Dirty

STOP 🛑 THESE 3 C's & START Really Living

The Definition of Living BOLD